POSITION SUMMARY: Assists with care of patients in the operating room under the direct supervision of the operating room registered nurse.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs as central supply and scrub technician, assists with role of circulator for surgery procedures, and provides aspects of care as delegated by the RN.
- Prepares, monitors, orders and maintains sterile and un-sterile supplies and equipment.
- Organizes work to provide a safe, clean and efficient environment.
- Performs delegated tasks related to maintaining an effective working environment in the unit.
- Demonstrates basic surgical case preparation based on knowledge of anatomy/physiology related to surgical area.
- Identifies instruments and draping needs and understands function and application.
- Consults resources when confronted with new or unfamiliar tasks or situations.
- Participates in ongoing development and update of policies, procedures and preference cards.
- Assists other nursing team members through steps of the nursing process.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Completion of an approved course for operating room technician.
- Knowledgeable in current operating room/central supply principles and practices.
- Current American Heart Association BLS or American Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers Certification. Non-certified employees must attain certification within 60 days of employment in position.
- Reports directly to the Nursing Director
- Works regularly with physicians, surgery staff, CRNAs and patients.
- Regular contact with employees from various departments and vendors.
- Work is performed largely in a pleasant hospital environment with minimal chance for personal injury.
- Frequently works near moving mechanical parts, exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Regularly exposed to risk of electrical shock and exposed to hazardous material such as needle punctures, blood and body fluids.
- Occasionally exposed to risk of radiation.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Occasionally required to sit or climb.
- Required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Occasionally may need to move patients and/or equipment of more than 100 pounds.
- Requires specific vision abilities for far vision, near vision, depth perception, colors, accommodation and peripheral vision.
- Vision correctable to 20/40.
Acknowledgement: This job description/evaluation describes the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the department manager or administration. All requirements are subject to change over time and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.