POSITION SUMMARY: Directs and coordinates all activities related to the billing process. Ensures that billing activities are accurately performed according to department policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees and manages operational aspects of the Business Office areas including Patient Account Representatives and Collection/Financial Counselors.
- Interviews, schedules, trains, and evaluates the performance of all department staff.
- Investigates and takes appropriate action(s) to resolve department and personnel problems.
- Oversees the electronic billing, account assignment and follow through processes to ensure accurate and timely transactions.
- Conducts frequent reviews of systems and processes, billing/payment and collection activities.
- Analyzes aging of accounts receivable; investigates trends and takes actions to maintain acceptable levels.
- Audits accounts for charging, billing and payment accuracy and completeness.
- Ensures compliance with governmental and payer requirements for proper billing procedures.
- Initiates quality improvement activities to improve workflow, operations and systems administration.
- Coordination of department activities with other departments to ensure effective overall operations and excellent customer service.
- Coordination of charge master activities to include updates to CDM, auditing and working as a liaison to departments to ensure accurate charge capture.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum two year degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Healthcare related degree.
- Two years related experience or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Reports directly to the Medical Information & Patient Accounts Director.
- Direct reports include Patient Accounts Representatives and Collections Representatives/Financial Counselors.
- Regular contact with Registration, Concierge, Medical Information, Finance, IT, Medical Staff and ancillary service departments.
- Occasional contact with government and legal agencies and patients.
- Work is performed largely in a pleasant hospital environment with minimal chance for personal injury. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Frequently required to sit and stand.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Frequently required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Requires specific vision abilities for far vision, near vision, depth perception, colors, accommodation and peripheral vision.
- Vision correctable to 20/40.
Acknowledgement: This job description/evaluation describes the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the department manager or administration. All requirements are subject to change over time and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.