POSITION SUMMARY: Coordinates patient account credit and collection activities following established
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Answers billing and account status inquiries from patients.
- Files estate claims with the court system as necessary.
- Provides financial planning assistance to patients without insurance.
- Reviews accounts and contacts patients who have not kept their payment arrangement agreements with written and/or telephone correspondence.
- Examines collection ledgers to determine if accounts should be sent to a collection agency.
- Monitors notification of bad debt payments to collection agencies and acts as liaison to answer questions for the agencies.
- Monitors bankruptcy notices and takes appropriate action when necessary.
- Researches accounts with credit balances to determine the reason for the credit and resolves the situation.
- Works with patients to qualify them for community care programs.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge and understanding of billing policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Two years related experience or training.
- Proficiently uses computer and calculator.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Reports directly to the Business Office Supervisor.
- Extensive contact with other fiscal services employees.
- Occasional contact with patients, vendors and other departments.
- Work is performed largely in a pleasant hospital environment with minimal chance for personal injury.
- Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Frequently required to sit and stand.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Frequently required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Requires specific vision abilities for far vision, near vision, depth perception, colors, accommodation and peripheral vision.
- Vision correctable to 20/40.
Acknowledgement: This job description/evaluation describes the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the department manager or administration. All requirements are subject to change over time and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.