POSITION SUMMARY: Oversees and manages all aspects of the nursing unit and possibly other ancillary units. Plans, organizes, directs, coordinates and evaluates resources to provide cost effective patient focused care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs staff and schedules work to facilitate effective and efficient patient care.
- Oversees and manages all aspects of the nursing unit and possibly other ancillary units during assigned shift.
- Identifies, facilitates and evaluates patient care practices and unit goals according to established nursing standards.
- Investigates and takes appropriate actions(s) to resolve department and personnel problems during assigned shift.
- Successfully performs Registered Nurse duties as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associates or Bachelors degree from an accredited Nursing program.
- Current Wisconsin license as a Registered Nurse.
- Minimum of 2 years experience as a RN.
- Current BLS certification
- Rhythm Recognition Certification
- ACLS, PALS, NRP certification
- Supervisory and management training and skills required.
- Successfully performs the RN job description qualifications.
- Must possess and demonstrate a high degree of leadership, organizational ability and strength in communication skills.
- Reports directly to the Nursing Director of the department.
- Extensive contact with patients and families.
- Works regularly with nursing staff, physicians and staff from other patient care departments.
- Work is performed largely in a hospital environment.
- Frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock.
- Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of radiation.
- Regularly exposed to hazardous materials such as needle punctures, blood and body fluids.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Occasionally required to sit or climb.
- Required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Occasionally may need to move patients and/or equipment of more than 100 pounds.
- Requires specific vision abilities for far vision, near vision, depth perception, colors, accommodation and peripheral vision.
- Vision correctable to 20/40.
Acknowledgement: This job description/evaluation describes the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the department manager or administration. All requirements are subject to change over time and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.