Medical Lab Tech (MLT) - Part Time - Days
Aspirus Divine Savior Healthcare
Work Hours: 5:00am-4:30pm
Shifts: Day Shift
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for the collection and processing of specimens to obtain data for diagnosis and treatment of disease and accurate and timely reporting of test results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reads, analyzes and interprets common scientific and technical journals, manuals and procedures.
- Responsible for accurate and timely specimen procurement and handling.
- Provides quality service for all aspects of the pre-analytic phase of test performance (reagent, specimen, quality control materials, products and supply, reparation, understanding procedures).
- Provides quality service for all aspects of the analytic phase of test performance (QC and specimen testing, recognizing interrelationship of tests, accurate and precise resulting).
- Provides quality service for all aspects of the post-analytic phase of test performance (remedial and corrective action, documentation).
- Participates in and demonstrates satisfactory performance of HSS-approved proficiency testing activities.
- Prepares and maintains departmental records, reports, statistics, logs, files and other documents as required in written and computer format.
- Demonstrates knowledge, skill and accuracy in the operation and maintenance of all department instrumentation and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree from an accredited Medical Laboratory Technician program.
- Meet the CLIA 88 Testing Personnel qualification requirements for a Moderate and High Complexity Testing Laboratory.
- ASCP Certification or eligibility.
- Reports directly to the Laboratory Director.
- Regular contact with Physicians, Laboratory Staff, Pathologists, other hospital personnel and other healthcare organizations.
- Occasional contact with vendors, manufacturers and regulating agencies.
- Work is performed largely in a pleasant hospital environment with minimal chance for personal injury.
- Regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, wet, and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
- Frequently has potential exposure to hazardous materials such as sharps and exposure to blood and body fluids.
- It is an expectation for this position Standard and Transmission-based Isolation Precautions are followed along with appropriate use of personal protective equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Occasionally required to sit or climb.
- Required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Occasionally may need to move patients and/or equipment of more than 100 pounds.
- Requires specific vision abilities for far vision, near vision, depth perception, colors, accommodation and peripheral vision.
- Vision correctable to 20/40.
Acknowledgement: This job description/evaluation describes the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the department manager or administration. All requirements are subject to change over time and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.