POSITION SUMMARY: Performs maintenance duties of grounds, parking lots and sidewalks surrounding the facilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs grounds maintenance; including, but not limited to cutting grass, trimming trees and shrubs, planting and weeding flowers beds, and picking up debris.
- Performs basic and intermediate level repairs and preventive maintenance to grounds keeping equipment.
- Ensures sidewalks and entryways are clean, free of debris, snow and ice.
- Manages/organizes tools, parts, supplies and critical spares efficiently.
- Keeps shop area clean and organized. Follows proper storage procedures for flammable materials.
- Complies with department quality control reports and makes corrections to work quality quickly
- Removes bird nests, wasp nests, bats and bees from buildings following safety protocols
- Performs grounds maintenance in a detailed and systematic section by section approach completing all work before moving on the next area. Walks the perimeter of the campus buildings to ensure all trash, cigarette butts and debris are picked up daily
- Works with vendors for seasonal start up and shut down requirements to any grounds systems. Works with pond biologists to ensure the health and appearance of the pond
- Uses safe methods when handling chemicals in daily work practice.
- Use accepted body mechanics when performing work duties.
- Assists with interior maintenance/repair duties as requested.
- Performs pick-up and delivery services of supplies on an as needed basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Minimum one-year experience and/or training in maintenance repair, painting, and varnishing of equipment, buildings, and grounds.
- Reports directly to the Environmental Services Director.
- Works closely with Maintenance and Housekeeping.
- Work is performed largely in a pleasant hospital environment with minimal chance for personal injury.
- Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts, in high precarious places, and in outside weather conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock and vibration.
- Occasionally has potential exposure to hazardous materials.
- The noise level is usually moderate.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Occasionally required to sit or climb.
- Required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Frequently required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Occasionally may need to move supplies or equipment over 75 pounds.
- Requires specific vision abilities for far vision, near vision, depth perception, colors, accommodation and peripheral vision.
- Vision correctable to 20/40.
Acknowledgement: This job description/evaluation describes the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the department manager or administration. All requirements are subject to change over time and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.