GENERAL SUMMARY: The nursing services department will be under the direct supervision of a registered nurse who will be responsible for the total nursing care of each resident based on their individual medical, physical and psycho-social needs in accordance with facility philosophy, standards of nursing practice, and Federal and State regulations. This individual will function as a nurse manager, have administrative authority, and be responsible and accountable for the functions and activities of the entire nursing staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifies opportunities to improve patient experience. Participates in projects/programs designed to enhance service delivery and patient satisfaction.
- Identifies opportunities to improve the Environment of Care, and patient and staff safety. Participates in projects and programs designed to create a safe environment to avoid error.
Job Specific Duties
- Assures quality delivery of care which meets the overall needs of the resident as established by physician orders and the individual plan of care.
- Develops and periodically updates the nursing service objectives and statements of philosophy.
- Develops and maintains standards of nursing practice.
- Develops and maintains nursing policy and procedure for administration of patient care.
- Coordinates nursing services with other resident services.
- Responsible to maintain adequate staffing to ensure quality care is given to patients and residents.
- Develops staff training programs for nursing service personnel.
- Participates in investigations of possible abuse, neglect or misappropriation of assets.
- Participates in the planning and budgeting for nursing services and for budgetary controls.
- Promotes and maintains an environment that is in compliance with the facility policies and procedures and federal, state and local regulatory agencies including HIPPA requirements.
- Assures periodic employee performance appraisals as dictated by facility policy.
- Ensures that all documentation by nursing personnel is informative, descriptive of the supervision and care rendered, and includes the residents response to his/her care.
- Supervises and reviews the medication system for completeness of information and accuracy.
- Reviews all medication and resident incident reports, tracks patterns/problems with systems or staff.
- Assesses the nursing requirements for each resident admitted and assists the interdisciplinary team in planning for the residents care.
- Delegates and supervises the development and implementation of the resident assessment (MDS) and care plan, participating, as necessary.
- Assures that nursing personnel are following, reviewing and updating the residents plan of care.
- Assures there is an RN on-site or on-call at all times for each twenty-four-hour time frame.
- Schedules regular rounds to assess the satisfaction and/or discontent of residents.
- Supervises or completes all Medicare/Medicaid forms.
- Collaborates with consultants: Pharmacy, Dietary and Medical Records, responding to problems, as necessary.
- Is responsible for the supervision of licensed and certified staff involved in resident care, either directly or indirectly. This includes Medical Records staff and the Assistant DON, if applicable.
- Assures that all in-services required of the nursing department are monitored and facilitates timely completion of same.
- Assures all employees complete a full employee orientation.
- Is responsible for staffing of all nursing personnel and adjustment of nursing hours to provide enough staff to meet resident needs.
- Meets with nursing staff on a regular basis to ensure adequate communication, understanding and appropriate problem-solving intervention.
- Meets with family members and residents as needed.
- Is an integral part of the facility Quality Assurance Committee.
- Assures own personal growth and development as relates to job responsibilities by attending meetings, seminars and conventions.
- Is aware of resident change in condition, monitors action by staff.
- Identifies problems in care delivery and initiates appropriate changes or revisions, as necessary.
- Is knowledgeable in all emergency procedures and drills and ensures nursing staff competency in same.
- Conducts performance appraisals for all nursing staff.
- Fosters and maintains effective communication and acts as a liaison between staff, administration, and all other departments.
- Works effectively and professionally with physicians, staff, and members of the community.
- Sets department goals based on the mission of the organization and the needs of patients and customers.
- Participates with strategic planning and implementation.
- Participates in quality improvement committee.
- Works closely with department and leadership staff on customer satisfaction of residents and employees.
- Monitors and controls expenses within budget.
- Evaluates employee performance, completes evaluations, and handles corrective action and performance improvement planning.
- Involved in resident care conferences as a fill in if necessary.
- Creatively addresses the continually changing needs and expectations of the residents.
- Actively works as part of the facility leadership team to assure the success of the facility and meeting of strategic goals.
- Participates in facility and community meetings/projects as needed.
- May work extended hours as needed.
- Collaborates with infection preventionist to monitor ongoing surveillance and facilitate improvement processes related to infection control.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities assigned by the Administrator or the Board of Directors.
Department Specific Accountabilities
- Maintains department specific accountabilities as determined, maintained, and housed within each units Scope of Service.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Associates or bachelors degree from an accredited Nursing program.
- Current Wisconsin license as a Registered Nurse.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a RN
- Supervisory and management skills required.
- Possesses an active Wisconsin RN nursing license or compact license.
- Possesses an active BLS Certification through AHA or American Red Cross.
- Demonstrates ability to work and communicate effectively and efficiently with patients and families, various departments, and other personnel.
- Possesses knowledge of the nurse practice act as well as State and Federal regulations. Displays clinical competence for management decisions impacting direct patient care, good human relations, economics, regulatory agency standards and regulations, as well as legislation that affects nursing practice.