POSITION SUMMARY: Meets patients, personnel and organization needs by leading, planning, organizing, and controlling activities in the Laboratory department and oversees and manages all aspects of the laboratory department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs staff and schedules work to facilitate effective and efficient patient care.
- Plans, researches and requests purchases for department equipment and supplies.
- Provides leadership, vision, development and implementation of long-term laboratory goals for the organization
- Collects and reports data, statistics and information relevant to planning and management of the unit functions
- Identifies, facilitates and evaluates laboratory practices and goals according to established standards.
- Investigates and takes appropriate action(s) to resolve department and personnel problems.
- Develops, revises, reviews and updates all policies and procedures for the department
- Performs duties of the Medical Technologist
- Coordinates development and provision of clinical rotations for students
- Acts as the laboratory liaison to the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited Medical Technology program.
- Meet the CLIA 88 Testing Personnel qualification requirements for a Moderate and High Complexity Testing Laboratory.
- ASCP Certification or eligibility.
- Minimum of 5 years related experience with management experience preferred.
- Reports directly to the CFO.
- Direct reports include all employees in the laboratory department.
- Works closely with Pathologists.
- Regular contact with physicians, nursing staff, clinic staff and other outside medical facilities.
- Frequent contact with vendors and public.
- Work is performed largely in a hospital environment with minimal chance for personal injury.
- Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- Frequent exposure to hazardous materials such as needle punctures, blood and body fluids.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Some overnight travel required.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Occasionally required to sit or climb.
- Required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds of department supplies and equipment.
- Occasionally may need to move patients and/or equipment of more than 100 pounds.
- Requires specific vision abilities for far vision, near vision, depth perception, colors, accommodation and peripheral vision.
- Vision correctable to 20/40.
Acknowledgement: This job description/evaluation describes the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the department manager or administration. All requirements are subject to change over time and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.